Using a Router on a LAN

New PC Hardware? Computer Trouble? Tell us all here..
M3rC

thats the WGR614, used to have it, wasnt happy with it. They gave me that with a dutch provider back in Holland. now I got the TP-Link TD-W8961 N and it is gooooood lol.
Sky
MW2 Traitor!

wg834 was a typo, have since amended post to read WGR614 which is the cable version.
Also have a look at the netgear WNR range of 802.11N cable routers, you might even get wireless working
TP-Link are one of the best budget solutions I've come across.
I've heard Hanzy talk!
Some people are like Slinkies. They’re not really good for anything; but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!
umbongo(uk)
YoRkShIrE StRiPpEr
YoRkShIrE StRiPpEr
STEAM: konradski
ORIGIN: umbongo21

with my old system the a78v,etc nicley donated to me by sky(still works lovly with it onboard wifi and still works flawlesy from the attic in to the cellar .came with the mobil aerial ie on a cord than the silly plastic jobby stuck to the arse of the thing.even using this on my netgear dg834gt gave better reception due to being able to place it closer or higher in a room .[sh*t] it even helped the zoomadsl one i had before (reason for new modem was the netgear use,s the same broadcom chipset as my isp. so better thruput supposidly havent fcking seen it yet exept some balls about 18gb witch im yet to see in action lool )

plus cable extending the current aerial would also help instead of buying new and then put it in the hallway,just connect to an extender
note:::: link is to show what an rp sma extender looks like. also dont forget male to female on either end
just type: rp sma extension cable in google to find cheapest then by giving it a try for say £5.00 it didnt break the bank plus it gives you an option to place it on the outside of a cuboard if you have the modem hidden away under the telly ,that interferes with wify signals etc
http://www.hkwebstore.co.uk/index.aspx? ... rrency=GBP

having written all this i bet its an internal jobby isnt it
Sky
MW2 Traitor!

umbongo(uk) wrote:with my old system the a78v,etc nicley donated to me by sky(still works lovly with it onboard wifi and still works flawlesy from the attic in to the cellar .came with the mobil aerial ie on a cord than the silly plastic jobby stuck to the arse of the thing.even using this on my netgear dg834gt gave better reception due to being able to place it closer or higher in a room .[sh*t] it even helped the zoomadsl one i had before (reason for new modem was the netgear use,s the same broadcom chipset as my isp. so better thruput supposidly havent fcking seen it yet exept some balls about 18gb witch im yet to see in action lool )

plus cable extending the current aerial would also help instead of buying new and then put it in the hallway,just connect to an extender
note:::: link is to show what an rp sma extender looks like. also dont forget male to female on either end
just type: rp sma extension cable in google to find cheapest then by giving it a try for say £5.00 it didnt break the bank plus it gives you an option to place it on the outside of a cuboard if you have the modem hidden away under the telly ,that interferes with wify signals etc
http://www.hkwebstore.co.uk/index.aspx? ... rrency=GBP

having written all this i bet its an internal jobby isnt it
Some of that came dangerously close to making sense, you need to take more care with what typing Bongs :p
I've heard Hanzy talk!
Some people are like Slinkies. They’re not really good for anything; but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
STEAM: icetbag
ORIGIN: IceTBag
UPLAY: IceT-Bag

Ok, Im now thinking of getting the Netgear WNR1000, it is limited to 100MB throughput but the Microlink Lan Adapters I use are limited to 50mb anyhow and that should be plenty for both PCs to be online at the same time.

Anyone had any experience on this make of router?

All the reviews seem to be positive, and my local PC world has them in!
The best defence against software piracy is producing a game worth buying.
Shaggy
Chief Gay Norfolk'n'Good
Chief Gay Norfolk'n'Good

I have 1 of these Ice if ya need it http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networki ... gor-2600vg
Sky
MW2 Traitor!

Shaggy wrote:I have 1 of these Ice if ya need it http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networki ... gor-2600vg
Draytek are awesome for use on a domain, really good vpn tunnelling but they are priced for business use and still fetch a good price ebay. That model is ADSL though Ice needs cable.

@Ice looks a good price on WNR1000 @pcworld
I've heard Hanzy talk!
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Did a bit of reading into the WNR1000 Sky and people are saying it drops connection more frequently than a two dollar Thai whore :(

I'm not sure now lol, pixmania do the 416v9 for less than £30, I'll mainly be using it for wired LAN, the wireless is just handy for my mobile and iPod.

Shaggy, cheers mate but I'm on cable not ADSL as Sky mentioned.
Sky
MW2 Traitor!

IceT-Bag wrote:Did a bit of reading into the WNR1000 Sky and people are saying it drops connection more frequently than a two dollar Thai whore :(

I'm not sure now lol, pixmania do the 416v9 for less than £30, I'll mainly be using it for wired LAN, the wireless is just handy for my mobile and iPod.

Shaggy, cheers mate but I'm on cable not ADSL as Sky mentioned.
I think you'll find it's the wireless that drops, not the WAN. Neighbour has the ADSL version and wireless was very iffy, until I set it to 802.11g only, since then it's been fine. Have found this problem with most N routers when trying to connect G equipement (including TP-Link) and if client and router have different chipsets most N equipement aswell. Setting it to G only you still get the extended range but only 54mbps instead of a potential 150mbps (this is NLite, full N should be 270mbps)
WGR614 @ Ebuyer £19.99
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/48546

[f*cking] hell, 2 pages and this thread hasn't been hijacked yet, Porky must be slipping :p
I've heard Hanzy talk!
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Well just went to PCWorld (aka WindowLickersR'Us) and got a Netgear WNR1000 for just less than £30, set it up in less than 5 minutes and all is working fine.

Expect to see me and my bro on the battlefield :)