Slugworths & IceT-Bags FC2 Review

General chat for Farcry 1, 2 ,3, 4....well you see where we're going with this!
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
STEAM: icetbag
ORIGIN: IceTBag
UPLAY: IceT-Bag

Slugworth and myself where 2 of the FarCry community members invited over to Montreal for the FarCry 2 Fan Day. He has uploaded his review of the single player and map editor aspects of the game:

:: http://www.farcry-maps.com/plugins/cont ... ?content.9
The best defence against software piracy is producing a game worth buying.
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

My own take on FC2:

Singe Player:
I played a mission on the PC version (wont mention what it entailed as I dont want to ruin anything for you), I was amazed at how big the 'world' felt and I only explored a small portion of it. I believe the dev teams aim to 'capture' the essence of the original game has been achieved.

I died several times during my SP session, not because Im crap mind you - I just wanted to check that there where no bugs with dieing - honest!

Anyhow, after each death I tried completing the mission using different methods - the Rambo style, the Ninja style and ofcourse IceT-Bags style (the most successful!). I am sure you will find endless hours of replay-ability in the SP alone given the sheer volume of options you have when it comes to getting the job done.

I found the AI to be satisfactory in their response to my attempts to kill them, they didnt just stand their guns blazing like they would in a bad steven seagal movie, they tried all kind of things, from running away to seek shelter, to flanking manouvers, plenty to keep you on your toes during a firefight.

I must have witnessed about a dozen unique healing animations - some were truly grotesque (in a good way) so I cant wait to see the numerous others (keep an eye out for the tooth one!).

On my travels I enountered some of the local wildlife, in the shape of antelopes. From the beginning I was curious to see how they would react with my presence so I hopped aboard my trusty jeep and chased after them. To my amusement, they reacted very realistic, legging it away from me and changing direction several times. Sadly, the brakes on the jeep are not as good as they are on an antelop so when they stopped all of a sudden I had no option but to run them over (with an evil grin on my face).

I encountered weapon jams a couple of time, with one weapon exploding on me, though at first I didnt realise this due to being in the middle of an intense firefight, I just wondered why I was suddenly trying to take on a couple bad guys packing AKs with my machete!...then I clicked and legged it to seek another weapon lol.

Overall, I was impressed with the SP side of the game, I felt it had lived up to my expectations.

Map Editor
I've never been into map editing as on the PC they all tend to look rather off-puttingly complex.

I was pleased to see how easy it was to get to grips with the FC2 Map Editor - even though I was doing so on a console (which is alien technology to me). We where told that UBI wanted to create a map editor that everyone of all skill levels could use - and they delivered on that.

Let me put it this way, if I can make a half decent MP map within a couple of hours of getting my hands on the map editor - on a console where my thumbs refuse to work in tandom with my brain signals, thus slowing me down - then anyone can have fun with the map editor.

No doubt some seasoned map creators will be unhappy with the lack of AI scripting, custom textures and objects or SDK, but it doesnt take too much of the shine away from the editor in my opinion. We can only hope that Ubisoft make more content available in the future via DLC.

Multiplayer
This is the only aspect of the game I feel a little negative about - and that negative is the lack of ASSAULT game mode that we loved so much in FC1 (PC).

My clan has played ASSAULT (yes, that game mode with the petition!) in several leagues and it gave us over 3 years of enjoyment and laughter (before hacks finally killed it off).

Unlike the other game modes, ASSAULT was unique due to its linear objective based goals. You had 3 flags and you had to capture them in order. This required good teamwork and tactics to achieve success, whether you were attacking or defending.

For me, the other game modes are very 'run around like a headless chicken every man for themselves' type of gameplay. Even uprising doesnt come close to assault - we can only hope the devs add assault as DLC in the future as it is a game type that will be solely missed and I fear this wont be well received by the clans who where hoping to play it in the various leagues.

That 'negative' point aside, if you like your DM, TDM or the sound of Uprising (like TDM with a special person) then Im sure you'll be really happy. The graphics are the same for both SP/MP so no need to worry about the MP looking dressed down. The destructible environments will add a new kind of feel to MP gaming - the fire especially adds a nice new twist!

There is one very important aspect of the MP game that I was pleased to see in FC2 - teabagging! Thanks to the death cam and gameplay you can shoot an opponent, teabag them and then finish them off with a shot between they eyes - I know this will make many FC1 vets happy!

Slugworth managed to capture some video of me teabagging one of my foes - who I believe was one of the UBI employees
mixu

1st of all , hey ya boys )) m!xu is back and ready to rock n roll )))
Well, As i have read ICE visited ubosoft folk.. so , i have few questions, to begin with, did you ask why the hell assault was left out? What were they really thinking? As i don't see any point there, they bought right for assault from Crytek, so ze Germans couldn't include it in Crysis and now they leave it out ?

In the videos I noticed that weapons have crazy recoils, how did it feel? I mean pretty much agree that new weapon balance ruined the game in 1,4 patch.. Will it be the same FC ? or Is it more like COD4 now.. At least uprising looks like pure COD4 domination with VIP elements, BTW as i see it, it might actually work in clan games, but on public, i doubt, i can imagine if so called WARLORD is complite retard and dont know what he is doing, it can easily turn into TDM and CAMPY CAMPY game...

HOW did the Engine feel? I mean moving and so on.. I know we can't learn or prone anymore, so no SNAKEMOVES and such... but steady sniping? have you tried m249 and sniper rifle? Can you hold Breath like in COD? How fast people are actually dying? CAN WE still have 10 sec duels or is it one shot game?

I know you haven't tried MP ONLINE, but did you ask about NETCODE? DID they fix it?

ALright, I think it's enough for now,

yours m!xu , remember to visit http://www.kerpo.org

P.S. With KERPOS We actually started thinking about Moding Assault/// Do you already know any oter mod groups willing to do it?
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Hi Mixu,

The guy who introduced us to MP did say why they didnt include assault, but at the time there was quite a bit of noise in the room. To give a rough answer, they deemed it too hard for new players to grasp - or something to that effect (yeah, i nearly lol'd!)...whilst I cant remember the exact words...it was a lame excuse anyway (maybe Slugworth can remember!).

The weapons feel good, they're better than FC1, not sure if I'd say they are as good as COD4, but certainly good enough to be enjoyable, I think the 6 classes balance out rather well - though you should be warned picking the dude with the flamethrower can be bad for your health as slugworth will confirm - he killed himself more with that weapon than anyone else!

Headshots are instant kills, though I found it great fun to maim someone to the point where they required a team mate to revive them - only for me to bag them then shoot them in the head once I was satisfied they could taste me :)

They game engine was nice, I didnt notice any in-game loading so Id guess its streaming technology works rather well. Not sure what performance will be like on the PC over the internet as we never discusses net code. I didnt get chance to try the M249, but I did try the single bolt action rifle which was acceptable...albeit hard as hell to aim with when using an xbox controller!

There is no SDK for FC2, nor are there any plans to release one. The Map Editor will allow the creation of good maps - however it will not support custom texture/objects/skins so basically FC2 will not be moddable sadly.

They acknowledged the petitions existence whilst talking about MP, so hopefully if we get more people voting for assault they'll add it in the future.
mixu

thank you for the information mate )) sounds not that bad actually..
About modding, well at least in far cry 1 you didn't need SDK to make SCRIPTS, i mean with KERPOS we were able to creat CAH mod ( similiar to domination) only using rule scritps etc, before SDK release.. humm I still hope its will be possible, let's see
Image ;)
umbongo(uk)
YoRkShIrE StRiPpEr
YoRkShIrE StRiPpEr
STEAM: konradski
ORIGIN: umbongo21

so ice was the name thing off putting in mp mode ie knowing were everyone and his dog are without having to resort to hacking.
as from the vid online it seems snipers may have had more cover in fc1 with just lense flare than now having their name plastered up without having to look for them

ps were,s my stick of rock,and did you share a bed with sluggy.is he realy that hairy :team: :salute:
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Well, theres no lens flare in MP - only muzzle flash.

I think the name tag display is optional under server settings.

Slugworth is as smooth as a babys bottom mate!
Hervig

IceT-Bag wrote:Slugworth is as smooth as a babys bottom mate!

Check out YouTube for video evidence... :wink:

Or "SilkySlug.com" :shock:

So who clicked it?!?
UnReaL
May the GAY be with you

they deemed it too hard for new players to grasp
That is amonst the most spastic comments iv ever heard.
So basically we've got TDM DM and TDM as mp game types?
VIP is fun for a while (if thats what I think you mean by it) but its no good for competitive game play.

Now its looking to me like fc2 is gona go down the same road as crysis and fail epicly in the mp aspect.

unreal is extremley dissapointed
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Yes the reason for not having assault was piss poor IMO.

You have:
:: DM
:: TDM
:: CTD (CTF rip off)
:: Uprising (a TDM with 3 control points)

Summary - epic fail for clan matches :(

Its the only negative point I'd raise about the game. Im working on it though, trying to get the Assault petition some publicity via websites.