Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

New PC Hardware? Computer Trouble? Tell us all here..
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
STEAM: icetbag
ORIGIN: IceTBag
UPLAY: IceT-Bag

If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 and you've accepted Microsofts free upgrade to Windows 10 you can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to burn an ISO image to DVD or make a Flash Drive.
The best defence against software piracy is producing a game worth buying.
CuZ
Wirralian Git
Wirralian Git

Got a little pissed when it disabled my Network connection despite claiming my PC was compatible...
Checked with Gigabyte... M$ lied, go figure!

The generic drivers may have worked if I powered it up and down, but I restored W7 instead!
Thought the UI was fecking awful, if I wanted the same interface as a phone or tablet I would use one of them instead of a PC...

Yes it made me cranky.
Does it show? :p
Proving since 2004 that winning has nothing to do with not dying or the ability to shoot [sh*t] ...
Its all about choosing the right side!!! :D
Worlds Best Engineer... ...once!
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Best thing to do is make sure all your drivers are up to date prior to upgrading mate. Some manufacturers have rolled out updates since Windows 10 launch. They may not be classed as Windows 10 drivers - but if you use the latest Win7 or Win8 drivers you should be ok.

I've upgraded 1 PC and a laptop so far without issue and whilst the grey/white UI is a bit bland - its better than Windows 8 Metro UI :)

The OS has a smaller footprint compared with previous versions freeing up disk space, in fact new PCs that come with Windows 10 pre-installed won't have a hidden recovery partition such is Microsoft's belief that Windows 10 is so solid and can fix itself without a full wipe/reinstall being required.

One feature I like is that if you want to reset Windows 10 it will reset itself to the latest version so users don't have to then install 10 trillion flopabytes of updates :)

For me, Windows 10 is a quicker more responsive OS than Windows 7 (I skipped 8!), for gamers it brings DX12 which should achieve similar frame-rate performance benefits to AMDs MANTLE - once games that fully support DX12 are available or patched.

Things I don't like are their new T&Cs giving them permission to store all of your personal information online. Talk about big brother! Another thing I dont like is giving them permission to use my PC as an update distribution node - using MY BANDWIDTH to update joe public's PCs !!!

Make sure once installed you do 2 things (via Settings):

1> Disable all of the privacy settings ( http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/ )
2> Tell Windows Update to only update your PC from their servers ( http://www.howtogeek.com/223068/what-yo ... indows-10/)
CuZ
Wirralian Git
Wirralian Git

I gave this another go a few weeks back, was starting to get used to it when it started playing up.
Lost of tasks going unresponsive etc.
Classic virus behaviour but neither BT Mcaffee nor Malwarebytes could find anything.

Eventually it got that bad that I had a cursor but couldnt open anything.
Though i would do a system restore. Oops there isnt a W10 image to restore to WTF??

Ended up doing a reset and asked it to keep all my files - it didnt it somehow lost the outlook ones.
Got backups of PSTs but was pissed about the account setting going because we have 5 different emails on the same inbox.
Was even more pissed when it wouldnt let me set up the gmail one. Googled it to see loads of issues with Office 2013 and W10 using your Microsoft acount to login (email matching account name confuses the poor thing).

So decided to go nuclear, format the SSD and clean re-install.
It didnt like it...
Ive spent most of the day trying to get either a clean install of W7 or W10 to work but both consistently hung after the Verifying DMI Pool stage.
BOOTREC couldnt see any OS even though I could navigate to them and see them in the DOS window.

Most weird.

Eventually I restored a 2013 W7 image to get the machine back into life and I am now about to try to insallt W10 again...
Wish me luck... I may be some time!!
Proving since 2004 that winning has nothing to do with not dying or the ability to shoot [sh*t] ...
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Is this a branded pc or one youve built yourself?

For me the most concerning thing you mentioned was McAfee - that program is crap and as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Of all the PCs I've had to reinstall due to virus/malware infection, they've ALL been running McAfee. There is a reason it is bundled with new computers - its cheap to the manufacturers because its crap!

Please get rid and buy a decent AV like Kaspersky, Bit Defender or F-Secure.

The task manager on Windows 10 is really good for viewing what processes are running and which are hogging resources.

I would say the slow performance is driver related or firmware related. Bear in mind that one of the 'downsides' about windows 10 update for me is that it WILL install driver updates for you - and windows update has never been renowned for having quality trouble free drivers (i never let windows xp/7 install drivers as a rule....though i have less of say on that in windows 10).

Microsoft has recently released a tool that lets you ignore/hide a driver update (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3073930) should you suspect a windows update has caused the stability issues you experienced.
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Also note, if you are upgrading to windows 10 - if you format the hard disk you have to install the OS you have a license for BEFORE you upgrade to W10. You cant for example install W10 and use a W7 or W8 key - which is an annoyance to say the least.

You can however purchase a W10 Pro key from Kinguin for less than £15 ;)
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

In Outlook 2013 you can give each email account its own unique outlook data file OST/PST. You can also choose where it stores them.

I think the issue you may have had could have happened if the PST file(s) were stored in the hidden C:\*user*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ folder ...as opposed to somewhere in your documents folder for example.

If you have one massive PST containing emails for all 5 your accounts - if you create seperate PST files for each email account you can use filtering rules within the import wizard to split the emails into their relevant accounts.
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Is your motherboard bios and hard disk firmware up to date? You got me thinking since after a clean format yout had issues with W7 & W10 when verifying dmi pool
CuZ
Wirralian Git
Wirralian Git

Holy quadruple posting batman! :p

PC home built, BIOS up to date, though a few years old (2012).
Updated the SSD FW to the latest as part of the process.

McAffee is a POS but its free with BT :lol:
Hence the Malwarebytes as a back up...
F-Secure, there is a blast from the past, had that on a machine years ago (probably based on your advise! :uwhat: ) but it was the opposite extreme, it uberchecked everything so much the machine ground to a halt!

Previous PSTs were individuals per email and were in the Apps local folder since I had upgraded from 2000 rather than the Docs folder that 2013 defaults too, but they disappeared during the reset, so either the "Keep my files" option failed, or it was a nasty little fecking virus that had already wiped them...

I did have some old archives of important stuff and our current main emails are all on IMAP anyway so nothing actually lost, just a pain to set up again!

Yes Sir, you are so right about not being able to directly install W10 without a W7 licence active... took me a while to figure that one.
Along with the fact that you cant restore a W7 image from a W10 media disc...

Also took a while to remember how to tell the PC about a drive that DOS could see but forwhatever reason Windows hadnt asigned it a Drive letter... :x

Finally got all running smoothly in W7 mode so I am going to image this then try to go back to W10 over the weekend.
Agree re the enhanced Task Manager, if you can open it!

Couldnt even CTRL SHIFT ESC :cry:

Cheers!!
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Fingers crossed for you :D

The current F-Secure has a gaming mode, I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever and Welsh has it also.

McAfee inst a resource hog - you don't need resources when you detect jack sh*t !!! I swear the god all the McAfee EXE does is load an icon in the taskbar. :x

You could always get a Windows 10 Pro OEM key from http://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/w ... l-oem-key/ to save all the fannying around.

** Also note that you have to Activate your copy of Windows 7/8/8.1 BEFORE you upgrade. Installing Win 7/8/8.1 and then immediately upgrading to 10 without activating windows first will lead to tears and a quest to find a time machine so you can get back the hour you wasted upgrading to 10 **