[Keyboard] SteelSeries 6 V2

New PC Hardware? Computer Trouble? Tell us all here..
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
STEAM: icetbag
ORIGIN: IceTBag
UPLAY: IceT-Bag

I've been looking for a reasonably priced mechanical PS2 keyboard and am leaning towards the SteelSeries 6 V2.

Anyone here got one?
The best defence against software piracy is producing a game worth buying.
UnReaL
May the GAY be with you

Stealseries gear is generally speaking top class.
Mr. Plow
Back in 13 yrs
Back in 13 yrs
STEAM: [22ndSAS] Mr. Plow
ORIGIN: MrPlowy

Just ordered this keyboard because I'm gonna camp more and harder!

Main USP is: "UV-protected keys - superior fading resistance"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKRbtsYy8l4&hd=1[/flv]

IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

My only criticism is that for a 'l33t' gaming keyboard it has a USB connection and not a PS2.

Whilst the mechanical switches are good your have more input lag with USB (polling) as opposed to PS2 (interrupt).

...but look it has coloured WASD keys ;)
Mr. Plow
Back in 13 yrs
Back in 13 yrs

IceT-Bag wrote:...but look it has coloured WASD keys ;)
Damn straight! That paired with UV persistance and PREMIUM elevates me from the crowd... :p The board has a 1ms reporting rate and 20-key rollover so I'm not too worried by the fact that it is an USB board.
Just a question wouldn't a simple USB 2 PS2 converter do the trick?

IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Mr. Plow wrote:...The board has a 1ms reporting rate and 20-key rollover so I'm not too worried by the fact that it is an USB board.
The board maybe 1ms thanks to the switches but connecting via USB is like waiting for a pause in a conversation so you can speak up.

Connecting via PS2 is like being rude and just butts in to the conversation "hey look at me...im not wearing pants!" ...talking over everyone else.

Heres a phrase i just created "PS2 makes you skilled, usb gets you killed"
Mr. Plow wrote: Just a question wouldn't a simple USB 2 PS2 converter do the trick?
I'd imagine so since its a mechanical device to cross pins over....however you'll have to live with the fact that WE know your using a butt ugly adapter for your keyboard :p
Mr. Plow
Back in 13 yrs
Back in 13 yrs

IceT-Bag wrote:
Mr. Plow wrote:...The board has a 1ms reporting rate and 20-key rollover so I'm not too worried by the fact that it is an USB board.
The board maybe 1ms thanks to the switches but connecting via USB is like waiting for a pause in a conversation so you can speak up.

Connecting via PS2 is like being rude and just butts in to the conversation "hey look at me...im not wearing pants!" ...talking over everyone else.

Heres a phrase i just created "PS2 makes you skilled, usb gets you killed"
Mr. Plow wrote: Just a question wouldn't a simple USB 2 PS2 converter do the trick?
I'd imagine so since its a mechanical device to cross pins over....however you'll have to live with the fact that WE know your using a butt ugly adapter for your keyboard :p
Haha - you got warmed up for that comment :lol: USB - PS2- and all that jazz is fine BUT you forget one important thing: I've got coloured WASD's :flasher:

BTW did u buy the V6? if you did we could decide the matter of speed / polling / interrupt by hitting a key a hundred times to see who finishes first?

IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

No I havent bought the V6 yet but will do in the near future.
Friday
Noob
Noob
ORIGIN: 22ndSAS_Friday

I've been using a 7G for a while now which is identical to the V6 you are talking about, and I use it with PS2 connections.

imo excellent keyboard for gaming, maybe not the flashiest, it looks pretty basic for the price and spec etc, but it really is a nice keyboard to game with. The biggest draw for me was that due to every key having an individual microswitch, it recognises every single key press as a separate thing, so you could theoretically press all of them at the same time and they would all send commands. May sound geeky, but you notice being able to press 4+ buttons, all around the same area (WSAD for instance) at the same time and have them all working. It makes a big difference.

The draw-backs would be for those with fat fingers, like me, your normal typing will be full of mis-pressed letters etc because you don't have to press the key all the way down for it to register, its only like halfway down, which if you are like me then if you just clip the adjacent key then you get that letter as well.

As I sit here typing, I already have 10 + spelling mistake which need correcting before I hit send, and that's nothing to do with dyslexia, honist. You get used to it, but its far from ideal if you do a lot of non-gaming. That said, my friend has the same keyboard and he's half Chinese (other half Welsh - don't ask). Consequently he has fingers like a child and has no problem typing, in fact he says he's quicker on the new keyboard than his old. Horses for courses.[

Other things to mention, its heavy as fook, seriously, and for some reason the designers have opted for car spec headlight bulbs for numlock, capslock lights etc for reasons best known to themselves.

Hi btw!
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Friday wrote:...
Other things to mention, its heavy as fook, seriously, and for some reason the designers have opted for car spec headlight bulbs for numlock, capslock lights etc for reasons best known to themselves...
Hi Friday :)

LOL @ Headlights, I have read about them being distracting, some players stick coloured tape over them to dim them lol.