make it last longer thread

New PC Hardware? Computer Trouble? Tell us all here..
umbongo(uk)
YoRkShIrE StRiPpEr
YoRkShIrE StRiPpEr
STEAM: konradski
ORIGIN: umbongo21

ok strange title
this is for item youve bought to make somthing old yet perfectly fine or new and fine keep on doing the job its supposed to without having to pay out silly money on an item . i mean why buy an old hard drive for a laptop when a simple reducer would let an upto date drive work on it .the same goes for pcs why cant i use this left over drive in my pc just because it connects difrently and why cant i mix n match pc/laptop bits to get more out of them

so if you bought any weird concoction to make it work put it in here
I HATE WASTE WHEN IT AINT BROKEN
give the item you got a rating outa 5

here goes .im planning on a small computer for a nephew he only wants WoW to work so i gathered up my stache of crap and thought why dont i use the slim dvd/rw outa the broken laptop .mobo died in lappy and would cost more than the unit is worth to fix .
so i then looked for a dvd converter from laptop to sata and hey presto those entraprenurial chinese dudes do em (they practicaly do loads of this stuff and worth a look )
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laptop-Notebook-S ... 5887205631
ok so seeing it looks good but does it actually work ,well i received it today in its own vacume antistatic bag the build qaulity looks spot on so i plugged it in,actally fits the exact legth of the dvd snd has two screws to anchor on the back of the unit and it runs sweet not only that but it runs off the spare floppy drive rail/connector ,tried all media the only thing i havent tried is burning a dvd but if its doing all the rest it should do this

so what do i rate it / 4 /
does exactly what i want and looks very well made only time will tell if it lasts i now have the slim drive to keep using...... Warning the chinese stuff usually does fail or somthing pops up unexpectedly be warned if its over a ~£5.00 i usualy pass
what im after next is a mini pci slot converter for laptop wi fi cards,,
ill get round to the ssd card drive ive had for ages in the old laptop somtime soon