Finally getting round to a new rig...

New PC Hardware? Computer Trouble? Tell us all here..
CuZ
Wirralian Git
Wirralian Git

Hey up fellas, any thoughts on the package below?
Not interested in OCing, will be used for games, bit of work from home and of course watching pron... :p
Coming in at around £1500 right now (Ebuyers)... wife thinks I am planing on around £1000 so the SLI and RAID may bite the dust...
  • Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard 195331 £143.90
  • 2xGigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card With H.A.W.X. 2 Game Voucher £285.98
  • Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £238.69
  • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL7(7-8-7-20) 1.65V Unbuffered Non-ECC £164.49
  • Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced Mid Tower Case £66.30
  • CM Storm Sentinel Gamers Mouse - 5600DPI Internal Memory and Adjustable Weights £36.21
  • Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 800W Modular PSU £129.98
  • 2xWD 600GB VELOCIRAPTOR 3.5" Hard Drive 10,000 RPM 32MB SATA 6Gb/s £393.32
  • LG BH10LS30 10x BD-RE with DVD±RW & LightScribe SATA Blu-Ray Drive - OEM Black £84.99
Oops.... Gonna have to add an OS to that... any recomendations for which W7 package to get?
Proving since 2004 that winning has nothing to do with not dying or the ability to shoot [sh*t] ...
Its all about choosing the right side!!! :D
Worlds Best Engineer... ...once!
Welsh
Bruce's Biatch
STEAM: welshclown

Become a student and get windows 7 professional for 30 quid.... :p

I have that mouse, it is very good! You should get a logitech g35 headset too , and a tarantula keyboard....just so your as cool as welsh :)
Sky
MW2 Traitor!

2xWD 600GB VELOCIRAPTOR 3.5" Hard Drive 10,000 RPM 32MB SATA 6Gb/s £393.32
Seems alot for a drive? especially when a pair of 2TB 7200rpm Seagates with 64mb cache will cost around £130 less.
Is an extra 7MB/s sustained speed and 1.4TB less space per drive worth the extra £130? Be better off with an SSD boot drive :p
http://image.ebuyer.com/customer/pdf/UK/D176584.pdf
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/S ... 701284.pdf
I've heard Hanzy talk!
Some people are like Slinkies. They’re not really good for anything; but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Godz
Captain
Captain
STEAM: godswork
ORIGIN: Godswork

whens the last time you played a bloody game? 2005 maybe 2006.

windows 7 ultimate 64

be nice to see you in a game somewhere
I AM NOT A MEMBER OF THE 22NDSASSCREAM....AIM....FIRE!!!!!!!!!
M3rC

Rekhyt wrote:Become a student and get windows 7 professional for 30 quid.... :p

I have that mouse, it is very good! You should get a logitech g35 headset too , and a tarantula keyboard....just so your as cool as welsh :)

But you're not welsh, you're rekhyt
CuZ
Wirralian Git
Wirralian Git

Sky wrote:
2xWD 600GB VELOCIRAPTOR 3.5" Hard Drive 10,000 RPM 32MB SATA 6Gb/s £393.32
Seems alot for a drive? especially when a pair of 2TB 7200rpm Seagates with 64mb cache will cost around £130 less.
Is an extra 7MB/s sustained speed and 1.4TB less space per drive worth the extra £130? Be better off with an SSD boot drive :p
http://image.ebuyer.com/customer/pdf/UK/D176584.pdf
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/S ... 701284.pdf
Oooo... :?
I knew it would be worth posting here... cheers Sky!
I only picked out the Velociraptors cos I was so pleased with ye olde 2x74GB Raptors I got.
Looks like I would definately get more value and a hell of a lot more storage from the ones you pick out...
So does a SSD for the OS make a big difference to gaming?

Godsy ditto mate, working on a come back soon ;)
Does a home user really get bang for buck from the Ultimate version?

Welshy! How are you my effeminate emo testical warmer?! :lol:
Mouse is in a bundle with something else...maybe the case...? Idk :p
Proving since 2004 that winning has nothing to do with not dying or the ability to shoot [sh*t] ...
Its all about choosing the right side!!! :D
Worlds Best Engineer... ...once!
Sky
MW2 Traitor!

A SSD makes for faster boot time and if carefully managed you can install your favourite apps/games on it and take advantage of the 285MB/s (that's twice the speed of those velociraptors) the downside is they're relatively small and expensive, a 120GB costs upwards of £170 and you don't want to know the price of the 540MB/s model

Windows 7.....
Home Premium 32bit on my laptop
Professional 32bit on my netbook
Ultimate 64bit on my desktop
Professional 64bit on my wifes desktop
noticable differences for the casual user...
Umm let me see....
MS Virtual PC with Windows XP Pro VM won't run on Home Premium (but Oracle Virtualbox with Pirate XP will)
Home Premium won't connect to a domain
Ultimate has got more :p but I'm not sure more what :lol:
All 3 include Media Center which allows you to stream movies etc to your Xbox 360 and display on your TV (after you've recited the correct incantations and sacrificed a virgin to the great god Bill)(couldn't find a real virgin so it only works intermittantly, but it's easier than it was with media center XP)
if you've got to use it for work and may require VPN tunnelling and you're installing more than 3GB RAM then go for 64bit Pro
I've heard Hanzy talk!
Some people are like Slinkies. They’re not really good for anything; but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
STEAM: icetbag
ORIGIN: IceTBag
UPLAY: IceT-Bag

I have Win 7 Pro 64bit, does everything I need for a 'home' user.
The best defence against software piracy is producing a game worth buying.
LuMbErJaCk
CopyCat
STEAM: wolvcast

IceT-Bag wrote:I have Win 7 Pro 64bit, does everything I need for a 'home' user.
Same, works perfect for games and all other stuff you can think of.
I have a 60 GB SSD to boot from, I have also CoD4 and MoH on it, all the rest of my apps and games are on 'normal' hdd's, and there's about 10 GB free space left on it atm.
pvt.james

i got a SSD and it was the best choice i think i made for my spec...i was torn between 470 in SLI with stock cooler or Noctua (HUGE COOLER) and a 120GB SSD.

the SLI is nice, but i think it causes more problems than its worth and unless you have a monitor the size of a tv i didnt think it was worth it.

oh and dont get Corsair ram...causes all sorts of problems get Kingston or equivalent.