New PC Build

New PC Hardware? Computer Trouble? Tell us all here..
Welsh
Bruce's Biatch
STEAM: welshclown

How much did this cost you icey?
Sky
MW2 Traitor!

IceT-Bag wrote:@Axeskyhigh: When you get the Windows 7 boot manager, highlight the OS and press F8 instead of pressing enter.

Just benchmarked my PC on stock settings using 3DMark06 on WinXP SP3 with Catalyst 10.3:

Also ran the same test on Windows 7 Pro with the same Catalyst drivers (64 bit):

Given that 3DMark06 is a DX9 benchmarking application, I was pleasantly suprised to see a better result in Win 7 than WinXP, maybe the extra system memory had an impact on the results????
Or maybe it's that XP doesn't support all the DX10/11 features of your GFX card regardless of what the benchmark uses, Win7 uses dynamic cpu speed control by default, find the powersaving settings and set to max performance and you should get a little bit more.
I've heard Hanzy talk!
Some people are like Slinkies. They’re not really good for anything; but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
STEAM: icetbag
ORIGIN: IceTBag
UPLAY: IceT-Bag

Sky wrote:Or maybe it's that XP doesn't support all the DX10/11 features of your GFX card regardless of what the benchmark uses...
I dont see how XP lacking DX10/11 features has anything to do with the 3DMark06 results which are solely DX9??? :uwhat:

Thanks for the power saving tip, will test that out :salute:
The best defence against software piracy is producing a game worth buying.
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Rekhyt wrote:How much did this cost you icey?
Just over £800 mate. :o
Sky
MW2 Traitor!

IceT-Bag wrote:
Sky wrote:Or maybe it's that XP doesn't support all the DX10/11 features of your GFX card regardless of what the benchmark uses...
I dont see how XP lacking DX10/11 features has anything to do with the 3DMark06 results which are solely DX9??? :uwhat:

Thanks for the power saving tip, will test that out :salute:
If you look at your results in more detail the gfx results are higher in w7 than in XP while the reverse is true for the cpu.
With vista & dx10 you got a better result if you installed dx9c rather than using dx10's compatability.
With w7 & dx11 the coding & compatability for dx9 & 10 apps is greatly improved and will map dx9 calls to dx11 features taking advantage of dx10/11 hardware that dx9 can't. While the difference in cpu score is probably w7 adjusting cpu speed on the fly. That makes less sense when I read it than when I thought it but you should get the gist, maybe a couple more glasses of whisky will help. :lol:
To summarise, where W7 is what Vista should have been then DX11 is what DX10 should have been
I've heard Hanzy talk!
Some people are like Slinkies. They’re not really good for anything; but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!
HanZ
MR. Connection Interupted
STEAM: hanz0000
ORIGIN: hanz0000

I'm just wondering why you picked DDR3-1600 instead of DDR3-1333.

Does it give any benefits or is it just overkill?

Who do we hate... ¿? HanZ ¿?...we love ya Hanzy ;)
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

@sky: <eureka moment>Aha!!!!!</eureka moment>

@Hanz: it was low latency compared to most others (8-8-8-24) and it was a 6gb kit in a combo deal with CPU/mobo. Reviews praised it and the mobo supports it ;)

Not sure how much of a performance difference there would be.
LuMbErJaCk
CopyCat
STEAM: wolvcast

Sky wrote:Win7 uses dynamic cpu speed control by default, find the powersaving settings and set to max performance and you should get a little bit more.
Can u give a clue plz where I can find that?
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

LJ, goto Control Panel, then Power Options (I think thats what its called), you'll see a radio-button-list of maybe 2 power plans (default / custom) ...and a 'view more' kind of link below them...where you'll see a 'performance' plan, select that.

^ All of the above is from a brief glimpse of it yesterday, Im on my XP/XP machine at the moment and about to nip out to work so can t confirm how accurate the above is....but its more of the less there abouts :)
Sky
MW2 Traitor!

LuMbErJaCk wrote:
Sky wrote:Win7 uses dynamic cpu speed control by default, find the powersaving settings and set to max performance and you should get a little bit more.
Can u give a clue plz where I can find that?
God Mode, Power Options, Choose a power plan :D default is balanced, switch to high performance before running benchmarks :p

@Ice you have got W7 God Mode haven't you :lol:
I've heard Hanzy talk!