HD 3870X2 Modded!

New PC Hardware? Computer Trouble? Tell us all here..
M3rC

I bought a HIS HD3870X2 cards recently on ebay for 45 quid. The lady said, the only thing wrong with it, was the fan that kept spinning at full speed.
I tried to turn it down with Riva Tuner and ATI tool, but no succes.
Then i though of a simple way of fixing this. I bought 2 80mm casefans and tied em together with tie wraps.
Then I mounted them with tie wraps to the red metal plating on the card ( luckily there were hole allready at the spots where i needed them lol )

Now, the funny thing is, when i used rivatuner to see what the temp and clockspeeds were, I found that the card is 10 degrees cooler idle, and 15 degrees cooler stressed! heheeey!

Some pics:

GrumpyOG
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
STEAM: [22ndSAS]SeaWibble
ORIGIN: GrumpyG

looks stable, and I prefer decent fans to those daft thingies that amd stick on their cards as stock :)
M3rC

It really is, the fan that normally is supplied by ATI, was a crappy small fan anyways.
These fans run on the normal power supply, I soldered them together with a 3pin connector, wich is connected to a 3pin to molex converter, and I can adjust the fanspeed in my bios.
Its running on 900 rpm, and i get a temperature of 43 idle and 60 stressed. :lol:
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
STEAM: icetbag
ORIGIN: IceTBag
UPLAY: IceT-Bag

Whats the noise like compared with the stock fan?
The best defence against software piracy is producing a game worth buying.
M3rC

As I said in the first post, the fan was running at 100%, wich was a noise of 80 decibel! So everything is more silent then that lol
I can hear the fans slightly, but thats normal i think. :wink:
Porky
The Dentist
The Dentist
STEAM: Porky_69

shame ya tinternet con is crap tho :p :lol: :p